Apple commonly releases a brand new model of iOS. However how have you learnt which model is working (most) in your iPhone, iPad, iPod contact or Apple Watch? An summary.
Learn on after the announcement.
Replace your Apple gadget with the newest software program
It has been some time since we hit double digits for iOS, which first noticed the sunshine in 2007 as iPhone OS 1. The primary model of Apple’s cell working system was fairly good. primary: For instance, there have been solely a handful of apps accessible, together with Safari, YouTube, and Calculator. Concurrently with the discharge of the iPhone 3G (2008), the iPhone OS 2 made its look, this time with the App Retailer and the potential of putting in third-party purposes.
In June 2009, Apple launched the iPhone OS 3, with probably the most notable new options being Highlight seek for the house display, video recording (unique to iPhone 3GS), and the power to chop and to stay on. Throughout WWDC 2010, Apple determined to rename iPhone OS to iOS. A logical selection, because the first iPad additionally appeared that yr.
Sufficient concerning the previous, it is time to check out the totally different Apple gadgets and run them on each iOS model. Within the replace preview under, we have listed the totally different gadgets. This manner you possibly can see precisely in case your iPhone, iPad or iPod contact might be up to date to a brand new model of the software program. You too can see what the software program updates are for the Apple Watch.
IPhone Replace Overview
As you possibly can see under, many iPhones are nonetheless working on the newest model of iOS. The overview under is commonly up to date as new gadgets and iOS variations turn out to be accessible. Good to know: all iPhones working on iOS 14 will probably be up to date to the brand new iOS 15. This replace will seem later this yr, in all probability across the iPhone 13 launch. Then we’re additionally ready for a significant replace to the iPhone 13. iPad: iPadOS 15.
IPad replace overview
Apple launched the primary iPad in 2010. The gadget alone has created a thriving pill market. Curiosity in one of these gadget has since waned, however the iPad continues to be very talked-about. Examine the newest iPad replace by mannequin under.
- iPad 1 (2010): iOS 3.2 – iOS 5.1.1 (newest model)
- iPad 2 (2011): iOS 4.2.1 – iOS 9.3.5 (newest model)
- iPad 3 (Retina, 2012): iOS 5.1 – iOS 9.3.5 (newest model)
- iPad mini (2012): iOS 6.0 – iOS 9.3.5 (newest model)
- iPad 4 (2012): iOS 6.0 – 10.3.3 (newest model)
- iPad mini 2 (2013): iOS 7.0 – iOS 12.4.7 (newest model)
- iPad Air (2013): iOS 7.0.3 – iOS 12.4.7 (newest model)
- iPad mini 3 (2014): iOS 8.1 – iOS 12.4.7 (newest model)
- iPad Air 2 (2014): iOS 8.1 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad mini 4 (2015): iOS 9.0 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Professional 12.9 (2015): iOS 9.1 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Professional 9.7 (2016): iOS 9.3 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad (2017): iOS 10.3 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Professional 10.5 (2017): iOS 10.3 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad (2018): iOS 11.3 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Professional 2018: iOS 12 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Air 2019: iOS 12 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad mini 2019: iOS 12 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad 2019: iOS 12 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad 2020: iPadOS 14 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Air 2020: iPadOS 14.1 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Professional 2020: iPadOS 13.4 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
- iPad Professional 2021: iPadOS 14.5.1 – iPadOS 14.7.1 (present)
IPod contact replace overview
IPod contact was the primary media participant with iPhone OS / iOS and the power to obtain apps and media. The important thing was launched in 2007 and is now in its sixth technology. Examine under to see in case your iPod contact is working the newest software program model:
- iPod contact 1st technology (2007): iPhone OS 1.0 – iPhone OS 3.1.3 (newest model)
- iPod contact 2nd technology (2008): iPhone OS 2.1 – iOS 4.2 (newest model)
- iPod contact third technology (2009): iPhone OS 3.1.1 – iOS 5.1.1 (newest model)
- iPod contact 4th technology (2010): iOS 4.1 – iOS 6.1.6 (newest model)
- iPod contact fifth technology (2012): iOS 6.0 – iOS 9.3.5 (newest model)
- iPod contact sixth technology (2015): iOS 8.4 – iOS 12.4.7 (newest model)
- iPod contact seventh technology (2019): iOS 12 – iOS 14.7.1 (present)
Apple Watch replace overview
The very first Apple Watch was introduced in fall 2014 and launched in April 2015. Apple Watch Collection 1 and a couple of adopted in September 2016. The primary is sort of the identical as the unique watch, however with a sooner processor. Collection 2 is quicker, waterproof and geared up with GPS. Collection 3 and 4 and 5 make the watch much more impartial from the iPhone.
Replace iOS: this is how
To verify in case you even have the newest iOS model in your gadget, go to “Settings> Normal> Software program Replace”. If an iPhone or iPad replace is offered, be sure that your gadget is sufficiently charged (not less than 50%) upfront. Join your gadget to WiFi to keep away from downloading the replace to the detriment of your knowledge plan. If the replace fails or you do not have sufficient house, join your gadget to PC with iTunes to replace via this program.
To replace Apple Watch, first be sure that your iPhone is up to date. Be certain that your smartwatch is sufficiently charged and linked to your cellphone by way of bluetooth. In your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app and go to My Watch> Normal> Software program Replace. Comply with the directions on the display. The replace can take from a couple of minutes to an hour.
Curious concerning the new options launched by every replace? In our iOS model overview, you possibly can learn every part concerning the software program, from iPhone OS 1 to the newer iOS 13 and iOS 14. Wish to be the primary to know when a brand new iOS model is able to obtain? Subscribe to our publication or obtain of the iPhoned application.
You’re studying an article that appeared beforehand on our web site. We’ve got up to date the data and republished the article.