Let’s take away the confusion about Yamaha’s all-new YZF-R7 straight away. The R7 is just not a direct substitute for the YZF-R6 ready-to-track machine. The R6 might be free from the road set up in 2022 and solely accessible as a racing bike. Yamaha confirms that the YZF-R7 is just not a conventional 600cc tremendous sports activities bike. Nevertheless, the 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 sits in the identical place within the YZF household because the R6, filling the void between the beginner-friendly YZF-R3 and the YZF-R1 superbikes. So, sure, it replaces the R6, though it performs a unique function.
Let’s get to the quick info from our first driving report in regards to the new R7 within the personal sector Atlanta Motorsports Park, a two-mile monitor designed by Formulation 1 monitor architect Hermann Tilke, that has 16 turns and elevations of 98 ft.
- The 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 is just not associated to the legendary 1999 Yamaha YZF-R7 (OW-02). This inline-4 motorbike was constructed to fulfill race homologation necessities for Yamaha’s World Superbike Crew – solely 500 have been produced in a single 12 months. Yamaha’s US staff who designed the motorbike mentioned the YZF-R7 identify was targeted on representing a brand new era of tremendous athletes and “not mentioning something from the previous.”
- As you most likely know by now, the 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 borrows the CP2 parallel twin engine utilized in three different Yamaha fashions – the MT-07, the XSR700, and the Ténéré 700. The DOHC 689cc engine of the Yamaha R7 2022 presents a large torque over the velocity vary, which is strongly pulled out of the corners and rapidly revs to only over 9000 rpm. I modified there for a lot of the day. The facility output is linear and feels good due to the crossplane crankshaft design.
- I shifted easily all through the day because the six-speed gearbox has actually been optimized in comparison with the MT-07 of the earlier mannequin 12 months. Numerous drivers complained of sloppy shift transitions within the decrease gears of the 2020 and earlier fashions, however the 2022 R7’s transmission is buttery clean. The brand new assist-and-slipper clutch contributes to this, decreasing the clutch load by 20 % – a primary for a CP2 engine.
- The elective GYTR Fast Shifter Equipment for Yamaha Components and Equipment ($ 200) was additionally included on my take a look at bike. It instructs the management unit to vary the engine velocity when upshifting. This can be a should as it’s helpful to click on via the gears when accelerating at full velocity. Inexplicably in 2022 just for clutchless upshifts, not for downshifts – one thing I used to be typically reminded of on the primary few laps. The help perform makes pulling the clutch extraordinarily straightforward, and I used my left index finger to downshift for a lot of the day.
- To maintain the value down, the 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 has minimal electronics excluding ABS. The character of the CP2 engine doesn’t require traction management or driving modes. The one time I misplaced traction on the rear wheel was when the tire was fried. The one drive mode of the engine offers a sufficiently tender throttle to guard skilled riders in moist circumstances (with good rubber, after all).
- The R7 borrows its primary housing from the MT-07, however with a very new geometry. The setup of the R7 presents extra agility and ease in turning than the MT-07, though it’s clad in supersport our bodies.
- You may drive the 2022 R7 all day on the monitor or street with sheer laziness. The chassis responds effortlessly to the laziest inputs and rapidly recovers from the hardest transitions from full throttle to full brake. That is because of the following Geometer modifications in comparison with the MT-07 (and R6 for the angle):
- The wheelbase is 0.2 inches shorter than the MT-07 (0.8 inches longer than the R6)
- The rake is 1.2 levels steeper than the MT-07 (0.3 levels steeper than the R6)
- The R7 and MT-07 share the identical path at 3.5 inches (0.2 inches shorter than the R6).
- The just about absolutely adjustable KYB suspension made for a sense all through the day. Realizing that the target market was athletic and can use the R7 on winding roads and racetracks, Yamaha inbuilt a 41mm KYB fork that’s absolutely adjustable. I pushed the forks to the bottom a few instances with heavy braking on flip one the place there are a couple of bumps on the proper line. After my second session, I added extra spring preload as I did not just like the tender really feel on the entrance however left the whole lot else set because it was on the manufacturing facility. The rear KYB damper can solely be adjusted for spring preload and rebound damping – no settings for compression damping. I did not have any issues with the rear shock. Yamaha engineers positioned the rear suspension arm bracket location to lift the rear of the chassis to my liking.
- The Brembo / ADVICS / Nissin brake mixture supplied greater than sufficient braking energy. The R7 does not get the massive 320mm windshields of the outgoing R6, however the 298mm rotors did their job effectively. That is additionally the primary Yamaha to make use of a Brembo radial grasp cylinder (16mm piston) for the entrance brake calipers. I used to be capable of decelerate and lead the R7 as I braked via every of the 16 corners at Atlanta Motorsports Park. The brakes by no means let up and the texture on the lever allowed for exact enter to reasonable the slowdown. The rear disc is 245mm, 25mm larger than the R6, and responded effectively to inputs when the road was tightened at WOT on the final lengthy left-hander. ABS is normal and can’t be switched. I had the sensation that the ABS solely intervened on the finish of the quicker straight.
- The selection of Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S22 tires is clearly aimed on the street tremendous athlete. Nevertheless, my Check R7 was fitted with pure Bridgestone Racing R11 tires – we have been on a closed circuit in any case. The R11 rubber stayed sticky all day. With the R7 solely weighing 414 kilos moist – eight kilos greater than the MT-07 – the S22 are nice selections for sturdiness and stickiness on the street. I examined the S22 tires in Jerez in 2019 and used them on my Ducati Multistrada 1200 and 1198 Superbike with no traction or sturdiness points. For perspective, the up to date 2021 MT-07 with Michelin Highway 5 sports activities touring tires is available in inventory.
- The ergonomics ensured consolation all through the day and introduced my nearly two meter lengthy body right into a semi-aggressive ahead place. The R7 is not as comfy because the R3 and, whereas just a bit much less aggressive than the R6, much more comfy than the outgoing Supersport. The R7 makes use of clip-ons and has a set peak of 32.9 “, 1.2” taller than the MT-07, and 0.6 “decrease than the R6 – each of which assist the R7 obtain comfy ergonomics. The slim design additionally contributes to the comfy Ergos. Based on Yamaha, the YZF-R7 is the narrowness of all R-designs ever – even narrower than the tiny R3. This may be felt instantly with full bend because the tank sucks your knees rapidly attributable to its deep knee pocket design.
- The inventory seat is ok for the monitor, however I might rapidly swap to an aftermarket saddle if I used it as a street bike. The seat felt much like the R6, which I might stay up for 80km of non-aggressive street driving on.
- I did a couple of laps to simulate street rides on the 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7. I used to be capable of preserve the transmission in third and fourth gears for the complete distance and gradual the revs to beneath 2000 round a number of the sharper corners. The engine was persistently responsive and delivered sufficient energy to make my means via corners as straightforward as I might on the street. Estimated gasoline financial system stays at a frugal 58 mpg just like the MT-07 with a regular secondary transmission of 42/16.
- I am a fan of minimalism once I take a look at gauges, and Yamaha nails it. The dashboard comprises the whole lot you might want to drive – speedometer, tachometer, gasoline gauge, gear place indicator and coolant temperature. It additionally has a clock, air temperature, and different much less necessary info. Nevertheless, do not count on a flowery TFT. To maintain prices down, Yamaha caught to a high-contrast LCD dashboard. I might convey the financial savings via a flowery TFT on daily basis.
- I’ve all the time beloved the look of the YZF-R fashions and I am glad they adopted their model new middleweight sport bike. Nevertheless, it takes a while to admire the one spherical headlight within the middle of the fairing’s M opening. Fortuitously, the proper and left place lights are there to stability this out. All lighting is LED, which permits others to see the R7 rapidly.
- Whereas the YZF-R7’s naming conference raises some preliminary advertising points, value ought to actually assist in buying choices. At $ 8,999, the R7 is simply $ 1,300 greater than the MT-07 and $ 3,300 lower than the outgoing R6. The R7’s most distinguished competitor is the Aprilia RS 660, though Yamaha does not admit it. The Aprilia is priced at $ 11,299 – $ 2,300 greater than the R7. That leaves sufficient leftover money on aftermarket equipment to have enjoyable within the MotoAmerica Twins Cup race, although Yamaha says the bike wasn’t designed for the job.
- The 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 is a surprising supersport twin. It rips on the monitor and is certain to fulfill the wants of actual world street riders who need that sporty look whereas being comfy.
2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Specs
- Kind: CP2 parallel twin with 270 diploma crankshaft
- Displacement: 689cc
- Bore x stroke: 80.0 x 68.6 mm
- Compression ratio: 11.5: 1
- Valve prepare: DOHC; 4 vpc
- Transmission: 6-speed (upshift shifter solely $ 200 possibility; put in on take a look at bike)
- Clutch: net multiplication with slipper and assist features
- Closing drive: chain
- Entrance suspension; Journey: Absolutely adjustable KYB 41mm fork; 5.1 in
- Rear suspension; Spring journey: rod-supported, self-supporting, spring preload and rebound damping adjustable KYB shock absorbers; 5.1 in
- Entrance wheel: 17 x 3.50
- Rear wheel: 17 x 5.50
- Tires: Bridgestone Battlax Hypersport S22 (examined: Bridgestone Battlax Racing R11)
- Entrance tire: 120/70 x 17
- Rear tire: 180/55 x 17
- Entrance brakes: 298mm discs with 4-piston calipers and Brembo grasp cylinders
- Rear brake: 245 mm disc with Nissin brake caliper
- ABS: normal
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 54.9 inches
- Rake: 23.7 levels
- Observe: 3.5 levels
- Seat peak: 32.9 inches
- Gas capability: 3.4 gallons
- Estimated gasoline financial system: 58 mpg
- Empty weight: 414 kilos
- Colours: Crew Yamaha Blue; Efficiency black
2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Worth: $ 8999 MSRP
2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 evaluate picture gallery